Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Why I teach

If you are an educator you have been asked on more than one occasion "Why do you teach?"  The general public seems to lack an understanding about why we choose to pour our hearts into this profession.  Some teachers feel it is a calling.  Others will express that teaching is an act of social justice.  Others love learning and want to help the next generation fall in love with it as well.

We all know the research on the value of being reflective practitioners.  Most of us will admit that we reflect daily on our pedagogy, research, classroom management and so forth.  But how often do we reflect...and I mean really reflect...on why we chose to become teachers?

A few months ago, the Pearson Foundation asked our TOY class to participate in a video series entitled "Why I Teach."  In 90 seconds or less we were to share our passion for our chosen profession.  If I was going to say anything in less than 90 seconds, I really had to get to work.

As I pondered the right things to say about the profession I love so much, I went through my code blue folder.  This idea was given to me by a veteran teacher in my first couple of  years in the classroom.  I store any notes from students, parents, colleagues and when I begin the flat-line, I revive my passion with this code blue folder.  As I poured through years worth of photographs, thoughtful notes, and inspirational words, I fell in love with teaching all over again.

I invite you to watch a few of the videos from some pretty amazing teachers who spend a little time sharing why they teach.  Why do you teach?

Click here for the Why I Teach videos from Pearson, CCSSO and the 2011 State Teachers of the Year

No comments:

Post a Comment