Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Window to my Soul

As I was running the other day, I came to a realization.  As nerdy as it may sound, I really miss blogging my random thoughts.  I have been struggling with blogger separation anxiety for a short time.  When I attempted to capture my thoughts on the notes section of my iphone while running along a pretty busy highway, I decided that returning to a blog may prove much safer and smarter than playing frogger along Hwy 421 on a busy afternoon.  While I realize that my random thoughts might be more comparable to Jack Handy than to Bob Marzano,  I have found that blogging about them is just as reflective and therapeutic as running or  eating ice cream while watching Law & Order.

So what's my purpose?  I hope to use this blog to capture who I truly am as a person and a teacher.  I hope to share thoughts, provide commentary on policy concerns,  engage in true reflection and get at the heart what I believe about teaching ( and life in general).

I was once in a discussion forum with other teachers/educational folk and the topic of blogging emerged.  We each shared our blog information and spent some time reading up on our colleagues.  A few days later,  I received a message from one of the teachers in the forum.  She wrote that my blog was a "window to my soul."  I had never really thought about it that way before.  But this year has been a roller coaster for me and maybe I need to take a look through the window to my soul again.  So this blog will be open, honest, genuine and heart-felt.

I am reading Parker Palmer's The Courage to Teach  and I can hardly put it down to go to bed at night.  He talks about the reality that we must know and be okay with who we are as people if we are to ever really be great teachers.  Self-refection as an educator.....I got that.  This whole self-refelction as just plain old me....not so sure.  While I get that most of the world will be captivated by far more intellectual blog posts,  this is my personal journey as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment